Patuxent Wildlife Refuge, National Wildlife Visitors Center

The Patuxent Wildlife Refuge was established in 1936 to support wildlife research and is divided into three tracts.  Upland forests comprise a majority of the refuge's land base.  The “South Tract” is the only one open for visitor activities.  Prominent are two lakes – Cash and Reddington -- and several smaller ponds. Trails and old roads wander through woodlands and meadows. The Visitors Center is essentially a museum devoted to wildlife exhibits.


Breeding Bald Eagle, Osprey, Wood Duck, Hooded Merganser, Green Heron, Warbling Vireo, swallows; in winter, waterfowl, sparrows, Rusty Blackbirds on lake shore.  A good spot for migrant thrushes and warblers.

Walk down the boardwalk to Lake Reddington in fall.
Best Seasons: 
All seasons.
Grounds - sunrise to sunset; every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years.
Google Map: 
Patuxent Wildlife Refuge, National Wildlife Visitors Center
Site Address: 
10901 Scarlet Tanager Loop, Laurel, MD 20708
Free to the grounds. There is a fee to the historic areas of the park.
Generous, near entrance.
From Rt 197 going west from Bowie, or east from the BW Parkway, turn south on Powder Mill Rd opposite the main entrance to the Patuxent Research Refuge. After .7 miles turn into the entrance road at the conspicuous gate. After 1 mile come to the parking lot for the Visitor Center.
Prince George's County